Zafirah is looking for participants for the following study and has contacted HVN to ask if we would circulate it. If you are interested in taking part or know someone who is, please contact them directly to find out more information. The study is independent to HVN. They have agreed to share the outcome of the research with us, and we will publish it when we are able to.
“My name is Zafirah and I am a trainee clinical psychologist. I am currently looking for adult voice hearers from minority ethnic groups to participate in my doctoral research project”.
What is the research?
This study aims to explore the experiences of voice hearers in the UK who identify as belonging to a minority ethnic group.
In western communities such as the UK, voice hearing is mainly viewed as a symptom of psychiatric illness. Medication is often the first-line treatment provided to voice- hearers with the aim to eliminate voices. However, research suggests that hearing voices may be a common experience within the population, and that many people belonging to minority ethnic groups may attribute their experiences of hearing voices to spiritual, religious, guiding forces, or other explanations. Therefore, this study aims to explore the experience and perceived impact of having a different explanation whilst being immersed within dominant western perspectives and explanations of hearing voices.
We are looking for individuals who:
- are 18 years old or above.
- identify as belonging to an ethnic minority group in the UK.
- have alternative culturally informed voice hearing explanations (i.e. other thanthe predominant medical illness perspective).
- have been hearing voices for at least one year.
- have previously accessed/currently accessing mental health services forpsychosis in the UK.
- have not been admitted to an inpatient unit in the last three months.
- are not currently experiencing high levels of distress
- have not had a change in medication in the last 2 months
What would you need to do?
An initial brief telephone conversation + An online interview (about 60-90 minutes)
You will receive a £10 amazon voucher as a thank you token for your participation.
If you are interested in participating, please email Zafirah Sathar at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information